Getting ‘Bach’ into piano playing has never been easier!
Finchcocks in Kent has announced 20 new piano courses for 2020
* Courses will be taught by internationally recognised tutors, including Graham Fitch and Penelope Roskell, and concert pianists Warren Mailley-Smith and Tom Poster
* Choose from a range of beginner, intermediate and advanced adult courses, from ‘Music and mindfulness’, ‘Managing Performance Anxiety’, ‘Chopin and Rachmaninoff’ and many more
Learning a new skill is the 6th most popular New Year’s resolution according to YouGov; so this new year, why not stick to your goals and try a piano course at Finchcocks?
A history of Finchcocks
Based in Goudhurst, Kent, Finchcocks is a historic Grade II listed manor house with a colourful history. The building was once home to Second World War soldiers, (Siegfried Sassoon was a regular guest) a ballet school, and one of the world’s most impressive collections of pianos. Finchcocks gained an international reputation as a music museum from the 70s onwards, offering visitors from around the world the chance to play the unique instruments on display.
The museum sadly closed in 2015, and many feared the music might stop. But in 2016, Finchcocks was bought by Neil and Harriet Nichols, who were determined to keep the musical legacy alive. Finchcocks started a new chapter last year, reopening its doors after a sensitive renovation to offer piano courses for adults of all abilities.
Since its opening, Finchcocks’ piano courses have received glowing reviews. The BBC music magazine described it as “Paradise for pianists”, with the Sunday Times, Pianist magazine and Classic FM all raving about the “luxury rooms”, “fine dining” and “incredible collection of grand pianos”, including the newly acquired Steinway Model B.
20 piano courses for 2020
With a new year on the horizon, why not resolve to get back into piano or take up the instrument? Finchcocks has released 20 piano courses for 2020, ranging from complete beginner classes to intermediate and advanced.
For those looking to work on self-care, the ‘Music and Mindfulness’ retreat in February will take your worries from major to minor. The course focuses on the relaxing nature of playing piano with the restorative effects of yoga to provide a blissfully relaxing weekend escape. It’s hosted by internationally recognised concert pianist Tom Poster and his wonderful Yogi wife, Elena Urioste.
Looking to hone specific skills? The ‘Managing Performance Anxiety’ or Applied Theory Course may be just the ticket. Neil Nichols, owner of Finchcocks, said: “For anyone feeling like they need to brush up their understanding of harmony and notation, we have also created a dedicated music theory weekend – based on the ABRSM grade 5 syllabus – and brought to life with practical examples and tips on how it can make you a better player.”
Warren Mailley Smith, who famously became the first British pianist to perform Chopin’s complete works for solo piano from memory back in 2016, is also hosting composer-specific courses at Finchcocks, ideal for those who love the music of Chopin or Rachmaninoff.
No summer holiday plans just yet? Why not combine piano practice with a staycation and enroll in one of Finchcocks’ five day summer courses. Guests of the piano school stay in complete tranquility and are free to roam the picturesque manor grounds between practice.
Neil Nichols, owner of Finchcocks, commented: “For anyone nervous about playing in front of a group, we’ve also launched a new style “Piano retreat” course – with no group sessions at all – just private practice, individual tuition and delicious food!”
The majority of courses take place Friday to Sunday (unless otherwise stated). All courses include boutique accommodation, delicious food cooked by Finchcocks’ private chef, wine and world-class tuition.
Full details of all 2020 courses here
1. Upper Intermediate Course With Graham Fitch | 31 January 2020
2. Music And Mindfulness: Piano And Yoga With Tom Poster And Elena Urioste – Intermediate To Advanced | 7 February 2020
3. Lower Intermediate With Dave Hall | 21 February 2020
4. Advanced Weekend Course With Warren Mailley Smith | 13 March 2020
5. Beginner Course With Dave Hall | 3 April 2020
6. Upper Intermediate Course With Graham Fitch | 24 April 2020
7. Managing Performance Anxiety With Charlotte Tomlinson – Advanced | 15 May 2020
8. Applied Theory Weekend With Dave Hall | 29 May 2020
9. Advanced Weekend Course With Graham Fitch | 19 June 2020
10. Lower Intermediate With Dave Hall | 3 July 2020
11. Chopin Weekend With Warren Mailley Smith | 10 July 2020
12. Five Day Summer Course With Dave Hall – Intermediate | 20 July 2020
13. Five Day Summer School For Advanced Pianists With Graham Fitch And Penelope Roskell | 3 August 2020
14. Five Day Summer Course With Warren Mailley Smith – Upper Intermediate | 10 August 2020
15. Piano Retreat Weekend – Private Practice and Individual Tuition | 4 September 2020
16. Rachmaninoff Weekend With Warren Mailley Smith | 18 September 2020
17. 5 Day Autumn Course With Vedrana Subotic | 12 October 2020
18. Lower Intermediate With Dave Hall | 23 October 2020
19. From Healthy Technique To Natural Artistry With Penelope Roskell – Advanced | 6 November 2020
20. Upper Intermediate – Advanced Weekend With Graham Fitch | 20 November 2020
Neil Nichols, the owner of Finchcocks, commented: “Finchcocks piano courses allow adults to revisit an old hobby and rediscover the enjoyment all over again. It’s extremely easy nowadays to get lost in the hustle and bustle of life, but taking some time out for the piano is really good for the soul – as well as our memory and mental health.”
Prices for a weekend course including accommodation, tuition, food and wine start from £525.
For more information, head to the Finchcocks website or give the friendly team a call on 01580 428080. Finchcocks also offer gift vouchers if you’d like to give the gift of music this Christmas.
Source: press release